By the end of the 19th century, the intersection of Walker and Stonewall streets was part of an established residential suburb
of Atlanta with no official name, but referred to by Atlanta residents as “Snake Nation”.
The east side of this intersection is the future site of 190 Walker (lots 60 & 58).
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps | 1911
The Southern Railway spur is built behind the residential houses on Walker Street, west of Bradberry Street.
This spur would eventually become part of the
Seaboard Air Line Railway connecting all major cities on the east coast.
Lots 60-70 Walker Street SW are occupied by Burgess Coal Company and Arthur G. Cosby Wood Yard, supplying coal and wood to the neighborhood residents.
Burgess Coal Company gets a new partner
Brooks & Chutt Wood Yard
The Atlanta Constitution Sun | August 4, 1927
The Atlanta Journal (Sunday morning edition) | October 9, 1927
Address incorrectly reported as 66 Walker Street.
The Atlanta Constitution Sun (Sunday evening edition) | October 9, 1927
Street numbers are changed citywide in Atlanta. Walker Street lots 58-60 are renumbered to 190-192 Walker Street.
Walker Street and Stonewall Street plat map
U.S. Bedding Company / Sealy Mattress Company of the Southeast occupies the three-story building at 190-192 Walker Street.
The Atlanta Constitution Sun |
February 5, 1928
Massell Realty Company builds manufacturing and warehouse building at 190-192 Walker Street
for U.S. Bedding to make Sealy mattresses for distribution in the southeast United States.
This is the first known photo of the building.
The Massell Realty Company 1927
The Pants Manufacturers
Chrysler Motors Parts Distribution
Backdoor to 190 Walker Street
where the Chrysler Motor Parts Corp. lettering
is still visible.
Knight Brothers Paper Company
The Atlanta Constitution Sun
Sabin Robbins Paper Company
The Atlanta Constitution Sun
October 30, 1949
Wright Sales Company, Inc
Venetian Blinds Supply
The Atlanta Constitution
Thursday, November 22, 1956
Cagle Furniture Warehouse
Survey of neighborhood completed and application for historic district designation submitted.
Castleberry Hill Historic Preservation Study | 1983
Walker Street looking north, towards downtown, before trees were planted.
Historic Preservation Study | 1983
The neighborhood is named “Castleberry Hill” after a merchant named Daniel Castleberry who opend a shop at the intersection of Peters and Fair streets and purchased the land around the topographical rise
along Walker Street between Fair Street and Stonewall Street in the early 19th century.
It is now officially designated a Historic District in Atlanta.
Ace Lighting Company Inc.
For Sale sign posted on the front of the building (behind the tree) | 1990
190 Walker Street Apartments
The building is purchased by Walker Street Partners and converted from commercial space to rental living space.
Nine apartments are built mostly on the second and third floors and the first floor is converted into a 14-car garage.
Bird condo installed on the southwest corner of the roof.
190 Walker Street Condominium Association, Inc.
Individual apartments in the building are sold as condo units.